The wine industry has been one of the slowest industries to adopt internet-based technologies. There is a big opportunity for wine brands to engage directly with those who drink the wine. Relationships sell wine!
1. + Social Media Marketing for the Wine Industry Presented for the Silicon Valley Business Journal in San Jose, CA| July 17th, 2013
2. + About the Presenter Founder and Principal at Earthsite, a digital media agency for sustainable brands. Learn more at JoeyShepp.com
3. + Road Map ! Social Media Overview ! Wine Marketing Strategies ! Wine Industry Case Studies and Resources ! Specific Social Network Strategies (Time Permitting) Ask Questions Anytime!
4. +What is Social Media Marketing?
5. + Social Media Marketing, Defined ! Social media marketing is building a social network of fans, followers and connections using relevant and interesting content that allows businesses to reach and engage more people and drive more sales.
6. + Social Media Marketing is Story Telling ! Consumers expect more than just a product or service, they want a story to engage with. ! What is your brand’s story? How can you make storytelling a practice? 49% of American wineries have a dedicated marketing manager who creates and publishes content on social networks.
7. + Social Media Marketing is Getting People to Talk about your Brand ! The number one reason people buy wine is based on recommendation. ! Professional critics no longer rule wine popularity
8. + The New Media Model
9. +Wine Marketing Strategies
10. + Wine Industry Slow to Adopt Social Media ! The wine industry has been one of the slowest industries to adopt internet-based technologies ! Big opportunity for Wine brands to engage directly with those who drink the wine ! Relationships sell wine
11. + Wine is a Fragmented Market ! 130,000 domestic & imported wines introduced each year! ! A market that is incredibly fragmented ! Difficult to develop brand loyalty
12. + Building Buzz for your Wine Brand Your Wine Brand Power Groups • Wine Spectator • Wines and Vines • Wine Enthusiast Magazine New Media Influencers • Gary Vaynerchuk • Robert Parker • 1 Wine Dude Owned Media • Website/Blog • Facebook • Twitter • Etc. Wine-Specific Social Networks • Snooth • Wine 2.0 Viral Content • Humor • Stories • Photos/Videos Onsite Visitors • Wine Tourism • Social Media Subscribers • Incentives to Join
13. + Develop a Content Strategy ! Predefine Topics ! Content Schedule ! Designate Content Producers ! Cross-Network Posting ! Get comfortable with transparency
14. + Develop a Social Media Policy ! Define your Brand tone and voice ! What to talk about ! What not to talk about ! What to do when negative comments arise ! Who to alert when certain issues come up ! Ultimately, a training guide for new managers to ensure the brand voice stays consistent
15. + Wine Industry Specific Strategies ! Winery Tourism ! Relive/share the experience on social media ! Ongoing brand relationship ! Experiential Content ! Content that reminds people of a positive memory ! Video/photo ! Encourage story sharing ! Virtual Experience ! Webcast tastings, Q/A ! Video reuse in Social Media
16. + Common Questions ! What should you measure? ! Community: Fans/Followers/Subscribers ! Engagement: Likes/Retweets/Shares ! What is the right ratio of activity to fans? ! Depends on specific social network:Twitter more frequent, Facebook more quality. ! Generally, the more the better, so long as they are quality ! See competitors for baseline
17. + Social Media Return on Investment ! Expect 6-12 months to see an impact on sales ! Allow time to grow your network… like growing a vineyard, you must allow the the vines to grow before you can expect to get fruit. ! Think of building “Social Currency” … the more good will you generate with fan, the more likely they will share your product.
18. + Measuring Social Media ROI ! Online Purchases ! Relatively easy to track marketing sources to purchases and correlate which efforts are selling the most wine. ! Offline Purchases ! Retail is much harder to track ! Use a “baseline” method where you check sales before and after social media campaigns ! Use VinTank to compare your social media stats with compeditors ! Use physical coupons that can be tracked offline
19. + Common Concerns ! Negative Feedback / Complaints ! Respond quickly ! Respond privately for charged issues ! Seek to satisfy and delight, not defend ! Time to Manage Social Media ! 15 minutes a day after setup ! …But must stay consistent
20. + Social Media Don’ts ! Don’t pitch, overtly self-promote or offer incentives to get reviews or sharing ! Avoid sharing personal information about politics, religion or other heated subjects
21. + Wine Industry Social Media Case Studies and Resources
22. + WineLibrary.tv – Changing the Wine World ! Gary Vaynerchuk, author and public speaker drives social media. ! Launched February of 2006 ! Regular video series, 1000+ episodes ! 135,000 Fans on Facebook ! 991,000 Followers on Twitter
23. + WineLibrary.com ! Super wine shopping website ! Delivered to your door ! Extensive selection, lots of “deals” ! Known for excellent customer service ! Uses WineLibrary.TV as a marketing vehicle
24. + Cork’d: Social Network for Wine Lovers and Wineries, Acquired ! Launched in February 2006 ! Acquired by WineLibrary.TV in May of 2007 ! User generated content ! Ad revenue model ! 2,000+ new users per month ! 2,000+ reviews per month
25. + Vintank – Powering Social Intelligence for the Wine Industry ! The Wine Industry’s best tool for connecting your customers within the social ecosphere ! 1 million wine-related conversations tracked per day ! Brand mentions, customer profiles, top customers ! Context to commerce, timing/ customer match, waiting for the right signal, then taking action ! $35-$150/month
26. + Winery Social Index – Top 50
27. + Sample: Bonny Doon Vineyard
28. + Klout – Top Wine Influencers
29. + Snooth.com – Drink Better Wines ! Focused on the shopping experience, allowing users to compare prices across merchants. ! Facebook integration in 2012 allows wine tasking review to be posted on personal timelines ! 28,000 Facebook Likes ! 12,000 Followers on Twitter ! 328 on Google+
30. + Wine-Searcher.com – Price Comparison ! The Wine-Searcher search engine lists 5,468,814 wines and prices from 37,883 merchants around the world ! Wine retailers can include their price lists for free ! Pro Version ! Access to complete, current and historical data ! $39/year
31. + CellarTracker.com – Inventory Management Gone Social ! Focused on inventory management, with integrated professional wine reviews with personal inventory and premium service offering automatic inventory valuation. ! Launched 2004 ! Popular Wines ! Tasting Notes by Users
32. + VinCellar (Powered by VinFolio) ! Online wine cellar management system ! An active online community ! Tasting notes and reviews ! Seamless integration with Vinfolio, online store and marketplace ! Mobile App for Price Checking
33. + Adegga – Social Wine Discovery ! Track your favorite wines and get recommendations from people you know. ! Organize your wines – track the wines you taste, make a wish list or organize your home cellar. ! International focus ! 4,100 Likes on Facebook ! 2,840 Follows on Twitter
34. + BottleNotes – Good People. Great Wine. ! Bottlenotes is the premier online wine community, where wine enthusiasts come to learn about wine, share wine tasting notes, and buy great boutique and estate wines from around the world. ! Wine Clubs, Gifts and Registries ! Track Wine in “My Wine Cellar” ! The Daily Sip Email Newsletter ! 167,000 Fans on Facebook ! 11,600 Followers on Twitter
35. + Using Social Media to Promote an Underdog Wine ! Pacific Rim decided to buck traditional wine industry marketing tactics and go after that group, investing nearly $10,000 in a social media campaign to establish its niche. ! “We wanted to turn passive wine drinkers into riesling zealots” ! Campaign components ! Custom website: http://www.rieslingrules.com/ ! Created and published the “Riesling Rules Book,” gave away 65,000 e-book copies ! Facebook Page Pacific Rim Riesling Rules ! Catchy videos and calendar cube giveaways for liking page, 11k fans in first two weeks ! $1,000 Contest, 15k fans in 10 weeks ! Results ! 30,000 Facebook Fans today ! Selling 200,000 cases of wine a year ! Total Campaign Budget: $10,000 CASE STUDY: Pacific Rim in Portland, Oregon
36. + Specialized Marketing Firms for Wine and Food Able Social – NY Grow Creative – Portland
37. + SF Bay Area Wine Marketing Firms ! Jean Arnold / Founder, Jean Arnold Group, President, Hanzell Vineyards, 103 E. Napa St., Ste. C, Sonoma 95476; 707-935-7020; www.jeanarnoldgroup.com ! Veronica Barclay / Owner, Barclay & Company, P.O. Box 71, St. Helena 94574; 707-963-3185; www.barclayandco.com ! Jeremy Benson / President, Benson Marketing Group, 2700 Napa Valley Corporate Drive, Ste. H, Napa 94558; 707-254-9292; www.bensonmarketing.com ! David Biggar / Managing Director,Vintage Point, 564 Broadway, Sonoma 95476; 707-939-6766; www.vintagepoint.com ! Barbara Bowman and Jan Mettler / Partners, Boss Dog Marketing, P.O. Box 1494, Healdsburg 95448; 707-433-8484 ! Elizabeth Candelario / Director of Consumer Sales & Marketing, Chateau Montelena, 1429 Tubbs Lane, Calistoga 94515; 707-942-5105; www.montelena.com ! John Gillespie / Partner,Wine Colleagues, P.O. Box 536, St. Helena 94574; 707-963-9009; www.winecolleagues.com ! Mark Feinberg / Vice President of Marketing,White Rocket Wine Co., 455 Devlin Road, Ste. 210, Napa 94558; 707-254-4811 ! Dan Leese / President and partner, 585 Wine Partners, 585 W. First St., Sonoma 95476; 707-933-2640; www.585winepartners.com ! Christopher Lynch / Chief Marketing Officer, Beam Wine Estates, 375 Healdsburg Ave., Second Floor, Healdsburg 95448; 707-433-8268; www.beamwineestates.com ! Mike Lynch and Jean Jacoté / Partners, Big Bang Communications, 10 Brookside Drive, San Anselmo 94960; 415-250-2373; www.bigbangcommunications.com ! Christine Martin / Owner, Firefly Creative Co., 432 Center St., Ste. A, Healdsburg 95448; 707-433-6044; www.fireflycompany.com ! Michael Merriman / Owner, Paladin Wine Marketing, 2081 Cuttings Wharf Road, Napa 94559; 707-253-9065; www.paladinwine.net ! Paul Novak / Owner, Novak & Associates, 3448Young Ave., Napa 94558; 707-246-3060; ! Jim Razzino / Weibel Family Wine Group, P.O. Box 87, Woodbridge 95258; 800-932-9463; www.weibel.com ! Gib Rockwood / Senior Vice President of Marketing,Wilson Daniels Ltd., 1201 Dowdell Lane, St. Helena 94574; 707-963-9661; www.wilsondaniels.com ! Craig Root / Owner, Craig Root & Associates, 10 Upland Road, St. Helena, CA 94574; 707-963-7589; www.craigroot.com ! Don Sebastiani Jr. / Director of Marketing, Don Sebastiani & Sons, P.O. Box 1248, Sonoma 95476; 707-933-1704; www.donandsons.com ! Jay Schuppert / President, Director of Marketing & Sales, Cuvaison Estate Wines, 4550 Silverado Trail North, Calistoga 94515; 707-942-6266; www.cuvaison.com ! Elaine Smith / Wine marketing consultant and owner,Wine Savvy, 2924 Marty Way, Sacramento 95818; 916-444-1909; www.winesavvyconsulting.com ! John Stallcup / Principal, Stallcup & Associates, 3513 Foxridge Court, Napa 94558; 707-252-7340 ! Neil Tallantire / Senior Vice President of Marketing, Diageo Chateau & Estates Wines, 240 Gateway Road West, Napa 94558; 707-299-2600; www.diageowines.com ! Paul and Jennifer Tincknell / Partners,Tincknell & Tincknell, P.O. Box 1879, Healdsburg, CA 95448; 707-433-3671; www.marketingwine.com ! DanWildermuth / Vice President of Marketing, Rodney Strong Vineyards, 11455 Old Redwood Highway, Healdsburg 95448; 707-433-6521; www.rodneystrong.com
38. + Social Media Jobs in Wine ! 14 Jobs Listed Currently on WineJobs.com relating to “Social Media”
39. + Social Media Recommended Tools & Tips
40. + Facebook Stats 2012 ! Over 1 billion users ! 71% of US Population is using Facebook ! 40% of Facebook users are age 35 and older ! Wineries on Facebook ! 94% of U.S.Wineries Are On Facebook (73% on Twitter) ! 47% of US wineries said that Facebook helps them generate sales (72% sell wine on their website)
41. + Facebook Page Strategy ! A “Page” is different than a personal profile ! Graphic Setup ! Content Production ! Apps (i.e. Contests) ! Wildfire ! Social Candy ! Insights (Stats)
42. + Facebook Content Examples ! Questions: Polls and surveys ! Event homepages and registration pages ! Archived email marketing newsletters ! Links to Blogs (yours and others’) ! Links to Websites (yours, and others in your area of expertise) ! Relevant videos, photos and podcasts
43. + Twitter – Pulse of the Planet ! Short Format Blogging ! 140 character limit ! Totally public forum ! Focus on headlines/links ! Content ! Listen/Respond ! Frequent updates ! Gaining Followers ! Monitor keywords related to your brand and competitors ! Follow others, hope for follow- back ! Recommended Tools ! Hootsuite ! TweetBot for iOS and Mac ! TweetDeck
44. + Facebook vs.Twitter ! Facebook is the superior social media platform for generating sales (48% for Facebook vs. 28% for Twitter). ! But Twitter is seen as better at capturing media attention (53% for Twitter vs. 32% for Facebook).
45. + YouTube – The New TV ! Get comfortable with video ! People love video ! Reveals transparency ! Demonstrate Lifestyle ! Single Cut Videos avoid editing! ! SetupYouTube Channel ! Graphics and branding ! Regular video uploads ! Build playlists of other favorite videos ! Respond to comments
46. + Pinterest – A Social Scrapbook ! What is Pinterest? ! Pinterest is a visually- beautiful, digital bulletin board that takes your magazine cutting and scrapbooking habit online, and makes it searchable for others with similar interests. ! Visual Lovers Paradise ! Pinterest is perfect for wineries and wine regions looking to engage potential customers online with cool visual (image + video) elements of their winery and wines, pairings and recipes, new label ideas, etc.
47. + Instagram – Photo Blogging ! Mobile-Based Platform ! iPhone/Android Smartphone Cameras ! Filters for the Romantic ! Easy to apply filters allow for artistic photos ! Photographer on Staff ! Define Instragram photographers who can take photos of the everyday work, events, behind the scenes and lifestyle shots.
48. + LinkedIn – B-to-B Networking ! Setup Complete Profiles ! Employee Profiles ! Company Profile ! Participate ! Join Groups ! Read News ! Post Links/Info ! Input Contacts ! CardMunch Mobile App
49. + Email Marketing ! Email StillVital ! People Check Email First ! Setup Mechanics ! Email Template ! Subscription Forms ! Import Subscribers ! Recommended Services ! MailChimp ! Constant Contact ! Vertical Response
50. + Questions?
51. + References & Sources ! http://www.slideshare.net/pierrickbouquet/social- media-marketing-in-the-american-and-french-wine- industry-in-2012 ! http://www.winesandvines.com/template.cfm? section=news&content=104433 ! http://www.winesandvines.com/template.cfm? section=news&content=104433 ! http://readwrite.com/2012/05/28/94-of-us-wineries- are-on-facebook-73-on-twitter ! http://www.slideshare.net/pierrickbouquet/social- media-marketing-in-the-american-and-french-wine- industry-in-2012 ! http://www.winebusiness.com/classifieds/winejobs/? go=search&q=social +media&s1=&country=®ion=&state= ! http://www.northbaybusinessjournal.com/15200/ who-who-in-wine-marketing/ ! http://ablesocial.com/ ! http://grow-creative.com/ ! http://boss.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/07/06/using- social-media-to-promote-an-underdog-wine/ ! http://www.rieslingrules.com/ ! https://www.facebook.com/pacificrimwine ! http://vincellar.vinfolio.com/do/vincellar/home ! http://www.cellartracker.com/ ! http://cruvee.com/brand-index/score ! http://www.slideshare.net/jonjoseph1/corkd-case- study ! https://winelibrary.com/ ! http://tv.winelibrary.com/ ! https://winelibrary.com/ ! http://garyvaynerchuk.com/ ! http://www.winesandvines.com/template.cfm? section=news&content=104433 ! http://www.vinography.com/archives/2012/02/ social_media_and_the_wine_indu.html ! http://www.1winedude.com/where-can-wineries- really-innovate-in-engaging-the-people-who-actually- drink-the-stuff/ ! http://readwrite.com/2012/05/28/94-of-us-wineries- are-on-facebook-73-on-twitter ! http://www.vinography.com/archives/2012/02/ social_media_and_the_wine_indu.html ! http://www.winesandvines.com/template.cfm? section=news&content=104433
52. + Creative Commons Copyright ! This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License. ! To view a copy of this license visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/us/ or send a letter toCreative Commons, 171 Second Street, Suite 300, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.